Experienced Fresno Tax Lawyer Represents Taxpayers
California firm provides comprehensive tax law services
We provide representation from the initial audit to tax litigation. A tax audit can be stressful. A tax controversy can sidetrack your business. A tax liability can create a substantial burden on your financial decisions. An experienced tax attorney can help you navigate these complicated issues. Since 2004, Frank Huerta Jr. has been helping individuals and businesses in Fresno and the surrounding areas resolve their tax issues. Our comprehensive representation includes tax planning, tax settlement, tax representation, tax litigation and tax appeals. You work hard for your money, and our goal is to help you keep as much of it as possible.
Skilled counselors advocate for tax debt relief
There are numerous options for reducing or eliminating tax debt. We can help develop the best strategy in your case, and offer assistance with the following:
- Audit Reconsideration – The Government may have made a mistake with your initial audit or you may have new information the government did not consider for your initial audit. You can not only reduce your liability but you may be eligible for a refund. We can make the government re-evaluate the initial determination to get the right result for the taxpayer.
- Filing Compliance – The government will often prepare an substitute return for the taxpayer if no return was filed. This automated substitute for a return (AFSR) is rarely beneficial for the taxpayer and often overestimates the true tax liability. If you have unfiled returns, we can get you compliant with your tax filing obligations and reduce your tax burden.
- Penalty Abatement – There are conditions in which a taxpayer can reduce their liability by requesting a penalty abatement. We are skilled in getting penalties and fees reduced.
- Non Collectible Status – If you need temporary relief from collections, a taxpayer can enter into Currently Non Collectible status. The outstanding tax liability would still exist but collections actions against the taxpayer would be stopped.
- Offers in compromise – An offer in compromise is an agreement between the taxpayer and the IRS to settle the taxpayer’s liabilities for less than the full amount owed. Over 90% of offers are rejected, most of those rejections are because the offer was either incomplete or did not have representation. We don’t prepare offers that will be rejected. We have a high success rate of getting tax relief through the offer in compromise program.
- Wage Garnishment – The IRS or State may send an order to your employer demanding garnishment of your wages. This often happens when the taxpayer has not set up an installment agreement or is not in non collectible status. The government sends an order based on a mandatory percentage without regard to your personal finances. If you are facing garnishment we can stop the garnishment to give the taxpayer a result they can afford.
- Releases of levies and liens – The IRS may seek repayment of a tax debt by putting a levy on your bank account. The government may even file a lien against your home making it difficult to sell or refinance your property. If you are notified that you are subject to an IRS tax lien or levy, we can help you establish a payment arrangement to satisfy your debt and get your funds released.
- Innocent spouse petitions – Generally, both spouses who file a joint return are liable for all taxes, penalties and interest owed, but in some situations it is unfair to hold one spouse liable. If you have been a victim of your spouse’s wrongdoing there is a chance for relief. There are strict requirements for obtaining innocent spouse relief, and we can help you through the complicated process.
If you would like to learn more about these or other options, we offer a free initial consultation at our Fresno office.
Reputable California lawyer has significant experience in state and federal tax matters
Our firm has significant experience handling controversies before the IRS and California state tax agencies, including the Franchise Tax Board, the Board of Equalization and the Employment Development Department. Due to state budgetary challenges, these agencies have stepped up enforcement actions in recent years. The State of California can be more aggressive than the IRS with tax administration and collection. If you are dealing with a state tax issue, we understand the nuances of California tax law and can guide you through the process. Our federal and state tax representation includes:
- Audit and Examination – Taxpayer audits can be through correspondence or face-to-face. Representation at an audit is crucial for protecting your rights by limiting the scope of the audit and preparing an appeal if the government attempts to exceed its mandate.
- Sales and Use tax audits – Sales and Use tax audits can be time-consuming and costly for taxpayers, especially those who fail to keep adequate records. A sales tax redetermination can result in additional tax due and potentially trigger other audits. If you are selected for a sales tax audit by the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (Formerly known as the Board of Equalization), we can help protect your rights.
- Payroll tax audits and disputes – Employers who fail to properly withhold payroll tax or file the required forms face aggressive enforcement by the Employment Development Department (EDD) due to the importance of payroll tax to state revenue. We have successfully represented many clients in payroll tax investigations and enforcement actions.
- California residency audits – Your residence under California law determines your state income tax liability. The Franchise Tax Board conducts residency audits to determine your residency status. We can help you through this complicated process to ensure you are appropriately classified.
Whatever your state or federal tax challenge, we can develop a careful strategy to help you obtain the best possible outcome.
Contact an experienced California tax attorney for a free initial consultation
To learn how the Law Office of Frank Huerta Jr. can assist you with your tax issue, please call 559-400-7531 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation at our Fresno office.